Friday, January 11, 2008

Just some observations

I do not go shopping very often. Other than the fact that malls and department stores seem to cause people to loose all sense of rational thinking, I have no idea why I hate to go to them. But I do.

But a few days before Christmas I went to this little import boutique called Super Target (pronounced Tar'shay, I think it's French!). So we needed to pick up a couple of things, one of which was diapers. So I go to the Baby section of the store, where they had strollers, high-chairs, bottles, pacifiers, and so on. But no diapers. So I double check the area. There are bibs, baby lotion, bottle liners, and wash clothes. But yet again, no diapers. I finally find them, guess where. In the food section. Why in the hell are they there? So I get to thinking about it, I guess it makes sense. I mean babies will need them after you eat, convenient I guess.

Then I noticed something else that may be set up for our connivance, but funny regardless. The Lingerie section leads right into the baby section. Ironic don't you think? Pretty sure that some lingerie has lead to babies.

But why is everyone pissed off? I mean you are the slack-jawed, mouth-breathing idiots who wanted until the last minute to shop for the biggest gift giving holiday of the year. Not like they sprung it on you. Surprise! We decided to have Christmas on December 25th this year! It's always on the same day.

Oh and one other thing. In this politically correct world that we live in, we are supposed to say "Happy Holidays" and not "Merry Christmas" so that we don't offend anyone. But everything associated with the holiday season ramps up to and ends on December 25th. Hell, Hanukkah, which last for 8 days, started on December 5th this year. And Kwanzaa doesn't even start until December 26th. So why do we try to fool ourselves into believing that we (and by we I mean the media) are being universal and not playing any favorites? Just say Merry Christmas. If it offends someone, big deal, get over yourself. Someone was just trying to be nice to you.

Hell, even my old, "atheist" roommate in Virginia went to see his parents' house on Christmas. I asked him why he did it when he claims to be atheist. To which he replied "Hey man, I want free stuff too". Maybe the message is lost but we all celebrate it the same way.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails