Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Inventions

Yesterday me and some of the fellas in the office where talking about inventions and whatnot. One of the guys said that most inventions where actually an accident and that the people where trying to invent something else. Like when Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone he was actually trying to make a hearing aid for his niece. As the conversation carried on I mention that scene from the movie “Cocktail” where they were talking about the guy who invented the little piece of plastic that goes on the end of your shoe strings and how that guy must be set. One of my co-workers and I came to the agreement that Plato is wrong, necessity isn’t the mother of invention laziness is. Think about it, would the car been invented if people didn’t get tired of walking or riding a horse everywhere? And with horses you had to either buy or catch them and then they might die on ya and you have to feed it and so on. F that! Same thing with the remote control, the cordless phone and so on. They were all invented because we got tired of having to get up and do something.

And then yesterday I get home and see an article on how some of most popular toys where created. According to this article, Play-Doh was originally created to clean walls. You would roll it on your walls to remove coal dust. And the slinky was invented by a naval engineer who was trying to invent a spring that would keep his instruments stable in choppy water.

So I got to thinking, what could I try to invent that would become a success or what could I invent by accident that could become a success? But two words kept popping into my head with every idea that I had, home explosion.

Back to the drawing board.

Don’t get dead

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails