Friday, August 01, 2008

Dear Sweezey - I may have saved a life tonight

Dear Sweezey,

As I was leaving a bar, a girl quickly stumbled backwards in front of me and fortunately my reflexes were not impaired and I caught her. She thanked me and I told her she was welcome and I kept walking. Later, it occurred to me that had I not been where I was, AND when I was, there was no one else in proximity to help her and she would certainly have fallen and hit her head on the floor so hard that it could have injured or even killed her. I'm not looking for credit for myself here, and I may be making too much of it, but her life would have definitely changed course otherwise. I am just wondering if it was just meant to be that I was there, when I was, and if so, I may never know why.

- Coincidence or divine intervention?

Dear Codi,

Please tell me that you don’t really think that you may have saved this girl from some injury or possibly death. Do you have any idea how many drunk people stumble and fall every night in bars all over world? Oh my god! I hope you have a cape! Quick, there is a drunk in a bar, call Soberman, he will catch you! Faster than a falling barstool, stronger than the urge to hurl, able to leap beer bottles in a single bound it SOBERMAN! Hero to all mankind who might have thrown back a couple of beers.

So how are you certain that she would have fallen and hit her head? Almost every drunk I have seen fall in bars, and it’s been quite a few, have either fallen face first with their hands out or on their ass. Did you whip out your protractor and calculator and do the math in mid-fall? Her rate of speed divided by the angle of her stumble multiplied by the cosine of the price of a beer… shut up you idiot.

But what if she was just jacking with you? Yeah, crazy concept but people in bars who have been drinking tend to like to play jokes on people for amusement. I know it’s kind of a stretch but I have read about it… online! So it must be true.

And you say that had you not been there that her life would have definitely changed course, well what if she is destine to be a serial killer. Nice job smuck. Now she can go on that killing spree. I hope you are happy with yourself. Had someone not caught Charles Manson, The Beltway Snipers, Jack the Ripper, The Hillside Strangler, Ted Bundy and O.J. Simpson when they were stumbling in a bar dozens of good, innocent people would still be alive today. I hope that you are happy with yourself and I hope that you have no problems sleeping at night while you think about what you have done.

- Sweezey

Don’t get dead

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails