Saturday, November 29, 2008

People in the south are trendsetters

I know that the south has this reputation of being backwards and slow but when you examine it, they really are trendsetters, at least in areas of things for the house.

For instance, when I was young most houses had three bed rooms max, so what did people in the south do? They closed in the garage making a fourth bed room. And if that wasn’t enough they would take and close in the back patio, creating another room, which could be a bed room. Now, most houses in this area are at lest four bed rooms.

And I can remember seeing old claw foot bath tubs out in the yard where the home owner would fill it with water so that the sun could heat the water. What do you know, that was the first hot tub! Now people everywhere have hot tubs.

It was also common to see people with sinks, stoves, big grills, deep fryers and so on in their back yards. Now people call them outdoor kitchens. People called them redneck, little did they know that they were ahead of their time!

When I was growing up you could drive out in the country and see people with sofas, tables and chairs on their porch and patios. Well what do you know, those were outdoor living areas, which are one of the hottest trends now. Coincidence? I think not! Matter of fact, I heard a guy from England say how impressed he was with people in the south because they had so much money that they could buy furniture that they didn’t have room for in their house.

I am not here to try to bust any stereotypes here, I just saying … :)


Don’t get dead

3 comments:

Phats said...

haha Nice post! I am sure the hilljacks in Kentucky won't be offended most of them can't read

Krissyface said...

We're not much for deep fryers in New York.

And that is a shame.

A goddamned, crying shame.

Booya said...

Phats - Yeah, I am worried about people getting offended.

Krissyface - Come to Texas they deep fry EVERYTHING here. The State Fair, or as I like to call it, The Annual Convention of Dipshits, has had everything from deep fried coke (pancake batter with coke in it) to deep fried twinkies, deep fried snickers bars, deep fried cheesecake and so one. Trust me, if you can find a way to batter it, they can deep fry it. The f'ed up thing is, I work with the guy who does most of this stuff, every year he comes up with something new to deep fry. I think I should set up a booth selling tums and rolaids and stuff like that. I could make millions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails